Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Why I Love Neil Gaiman


Mr. Gaiman was recently involved in a bit of a dustup over his speaking fee. How he explains what happened and tries to soothe some inappropriately ruffled feathers is another example of why I love this man. And this isn't even about his actual writing!

"Q. How can I get Neil Gaiman to make an appearance at my school/convention/event?

A. Contact Lisa Bransdorf at the Greater Talent Network. Tell her you want Neil to appear somewhere. Have her tell you how much it costs. Have her say it again in case you misheard it the first time. Tell her you could get Bill Clinton for that money. Have her tell you that you couldn't even get ten minutes of Bill Clinton for that money but it's true, he's not cheap.

On the other hand, I'm really busy, and I ought to be writing, so pricing appearances somewhere between ridiculously high and obscenely high helps to discourage most of the people who want me to come and talk to them. Which I could make a full time profession, if I didn't say 'no' a lot."


Plus, this is an interesting look at what us aspiring writers can look forward to when our respective ships come in. Someday. Maybe. At least, I hope so...

A Political Football in A Teacup

^..^

No comments:

Post a Comment