Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Complete Stories of J.G. Ballard



I received this book for my birthday, and I started reading it tonight.

"Short stories are the loose change in the treasury of fiction," Ballard says in the introduction, "easily ignored beside the wealth of novels available, an over-valued currency that often turns out to be counterfeit. At its best, in Borges, Ray Bradbury and Edgar Allan Poe, the short story is coined from precious metal, a glint of gold that will glow forever in the deep purse of your imagination"


The inimitable Christopher Hitchens reviews this collection of Ballard's stories here.

I just read the first story in the collection, "Prima Belladonna," about an overworked man, a golden-skinned woman with insects for eyes, and a shop full of flowers that sing classical music.

I...am..in...love.

^..^

No comments:

Post a Comment