Sunday, February 21, 2010

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World



Absolutely my favorite movie of all time. I watched this again last night and it still moves me to tears at many places. It's an unbelievably strong story of human relationships and character. The first time I saw this I knew nothing about the novels by Patrick O'Brian, so naturally I found the experience of Dr. Maturin's interest in science and the music he plays with Captain Aubrey to be total intellectual catnip. Combined with exciting action sequences and you have, in my opinion, an almost perfect movie.

I have since read all but the last two of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels, which are amazingly well-written and meticulously researched. O'Brian achieved something I strive for in my writing: a type of genre story (the nautical adventure tale) told with remarkable characters and excellent, literary-quality writing.

See this if you haven't -- it's stunning.

^..^

No comments:

Post a Comment